Thursday, June 14, 2012

Salon du Timbre 2012

Over the past week I've been on vacation with my family in Paris. And lucky for me, a large philatelic exhibition was being held in Paris during my stay: the bi-annual Paris Salon du Timbre. We went on a Tuesday and the place was packed with school children. I have never seen so many school children crowded into a space like that. It was chaos. So much so that my own children couldn't enjoy any of the exhibits available for children.

I bought a few stamps for myself, including the latest TAAF issues: the CNES strip and a joint issue with Monaco that were both issued on 9 June 2012, the opening day of the exhibition. I also acquired the Kerguelen sheetlet that was issued at the end of March.


There were a number of other postal authorities represented at the show but the one I was most interested in was Correios Brazil as I was able to purchase the 2011 UPAEP mailbox issue. Stamps from France I can buy anytime, but I don't get many chances to purchase stamps from Brazil.


At the back of the exhibition area were the LISA ATM label machines. I purchased a few examples of the labels made specially for the show. I like the Musee d'Orsay label but not the other two so much. The printing on the label covers the faces on the label image and that doesn't seem right.


Originally, when I learned the show was going to be on during my visit, I had plans to make up covers and maximum cards and spend lots of time exploring the exhibits and doing... philatelic stuff. But this trip was about my family so I had to put the hobby aside and focus on their needs. After a couple of hours we left to do something "fun". But I am glad I had the opportunity to attend the Salon du Timbre and I look forward to doing it again some year. Preferably on a day that is less crowded.

No comments: