Monday, January 23, 2023

Île Tromelin via Marion Dufresne

I did not think Tromelin was part of the regular rotations the Marion Dufresne makes through the French southern islands but apparently it is. I must have known that too otherwise I would not have specifically requested to have this returned from there. 

As will all mail posted from the Marion Dufresne, it is covered with the handstamps of various people involved with the mission. On the front: ships captain Ganor Ginat (also signed), expedition leader Sébastien Hamon, Crozet's new doctor Natacha Jacquot and assistant co-originator for the environmental field agents Baptiste Folléa. On the back: helicopter pilot M. Roussout and mechanic M. Legros, purchasing agent Alan Maingan-Champcourt, TAAF chief of communications Carole Le Noac'h and chief historian Laetitia Thérond.


I also received this one on the same day. I believe I sent this sometime in 2021 but it must have missed the boat so it ended up on a later rotation. Same markings. Smaller envelope. I think I like this one better.



3 comments:

nayatir said...

hi!
how do you get postmarks from ships? how do you get their addresses?
also, where do you get updates on like which mission is going to Antarctica next etc?

Jeff said...

I consistently have good luck with the Marion Dufresne: the French vessel that services the TAAF islands in the Indian Ocean. It is the only one I send covers to specifically to have them sent from the ship. It does not go to the Antarctic. Sometimes the ship's schedule is available at taaf.fr but I rarely look for it. I just send them my stamped envelope with a letter asking that it be returned from a specific TAAF island and eventually they get there and have it sent back. They do an amazing job when it comes to philatelic requests. 

The last address I used was:

M. le Commandant du "MARION DUFRESNE"
Courrier Philatélique
c/o Siège des Terres australes et antarctiques françaises (TAAF)
Rue Gabriel Dejean,
97410 Saint Pierre
REUNION

I don't remember where that address came from. I might have found it on a website at one time or maybe in another blog.

Most of the Antarctic covers I've received are sent on a ship simply because it's the only way to get there. I don't specifically ask for it. Antarctic bound ships I know of that have schedules online are Polarstern and RRS David Attenborough.

https://www.awi.de/en/about-us/logistics/schedules.html
https://secure.antarctica.ac.uk/south/reports/itinerary.ship.php?numTravelTypeID=70

nayatir said...

thanks so much for such a detailed reply