Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Canadian Recording Artists - Rush

Canada Post has an on-going stamp series that honours Canadian recording artists. I think this years is the fourth issue in that series and this year the theme was Canadian bands. When I first heard of this last year I knew that Rush would have to be one of those bands. Earlier this year Rush was inducted into the Rock and Roll hall of fame so putting out a stamp to honour them seemed logical.

Canada Post sums up the band like this:

Rush has sold in excess of 40 million records worldwide, ranking third behind the Beatles and the Rolling Stones for most gold and platinum records sold by a rock band. Since releasing its debut album in 1974, the Toronto group has become one of Canada’s most successful and influential rock bands



The Rush stamp features an image they used on their hugely successful 1976 album "2112". They still put out albums and tour and have developed an almost cult like following. They are the sort of band you either love or hate.

When I was growing up, my favourite rock band was Rush. I had all their albums, posters on my walls... they were the first band that I was truly obsessed with. But I don't really follow them much any more. Haven't for a long time. 


The other bands represented in the series this year are The Tragically Hip, The Guess Who and Beau Dommage. All received similar booklet, FDC and postcard issues. But I'm not the least bit interested in any of them. The only reason I bothered with the souvenir sheet was because of the Rush stamp.



No comments: