Thursday, July 21, 2011

Centenary of the Australasian Antarctic Expedition

New AAT stamps coming out 2nd August to start a series commemorating the 100th anniversary of the AAE. The plan is to issue a set of 5 stamps each year leading up to 2014. The first Australian Antarctic Expedition left Hobart in December of 2011 under the command of Douglas Mawson and returned in February 1914.

I like the AAT issues but find acquiring them to be rather expensive. I like to order stamps from the Australia Post stamp shop but shipping is rather expensive and Australian stamp issues tend to go off sale not long after issue so I can never justify the shipping cost for the few issues I want that are available to purchase. But I think I'll find a way to get these. Maybe use them on a cover to one of the bases or something.

No comments: