Sunday, October 14, 2018

Spanish Antarctic Base Juan Carlos I

From the Spanish Antarctic research station Juan Carlos I. It's a seasonal base located on Livingston Island at the tip of the Antarctic Peninsula.


There are three postmarks on this cover. The first on the stamp was 01-01-18 at the base. Probably on or around the date the cover first arrived at the base. There is a more graphic Juan Carlos postmark on the left that is dated 24 May 2018. I'm guessing that's when the cover left the base. And finally the Barcelona postmark dated 08-10-18, when the cover was sent back to me from Spain.

2 comments:

varunpaul said...

I need guidance as to the address I should use and the international postcard rate to India.

Jeff said...

The last address I used was:

Capitán BIO Hesperides
Arsenal Militar de la Armada Española
Cl.Real s/n
Cartagena, Murcia 30290
SPAIN

The Hesperides is the ship that supplies the Spanish Antarctic bases. Just ask for your letter to be returned from Juan Carlos I. They might not be operating due to COVID. I believe that was the case for 2021.

I think the international letter rate (20g) for Spain is currently 2.10€. I don't think they have a postcard rate.