Saturday, October 21, 2017

Spain 2017

This is an FDC from Spain, for a stamp issued earlier in 2017 commemorating the Spanish Antarctic research station Gabriel de Castilla. The base sits on Deception Island, at the end of the Antarctic peninsula, and has been in operation since 1990.


I also acquired some other interesting Spanish stamp sheets from Correos. The Star Wars sheet below is lenticular and gives the appearance of a 3D image. The technology is nothing new and as far as I know there is no connection between Spain and the Star Wars franchises but I'm a Star Wars fan and it looked interesting.


And this other sheet commemorates La Abadía del Crimen (The Abby of Crime): a Spanish 8 bit home-computer video game that was released in 1987. On closer inspection I discovered that in each stamp on the sheet is an area covered by thermal ink so when you place your finger on them, they "disappear" to reveal an artifact from the game. I tried to reveal the items on the lower right pair of stamps but I wasn't quite quick enough with the scanner.


No comments: