Thursday, November 28, 2013

Argentina's Marambio Base, Antarctica

This came back to me from Base Antártica Marambio: the largest of Argentina's Antarctic bases. It's hard to make out the postmarks because of the blue ink. The blue envelope do not help either. On the back is a large cachet with an image of a ship and helicopter... but again, in blue ink and somewhat illegible. Next time I'll send a white envelope.


Marambio base is located on Seymour-Marambio Island, off the tip of the Antarctic peninsula and is actually not that far from Argentina. This is a very large year-round base with an airstrip that services over 100 flights a year.


2 comments:

varunpaul said...

Please tell me the address to use. Thank you.

Jeff said...

I do not recall but I believe I sent it directly to Correo Argentino's philatelic bureau. They sent this cover back inside another envelope and I believe they like to have an extra IRC to do that. I'm not sure any more. You would have to ask them.

https://www.correoargentino.com.ar/filatelia/mundo-filatelico/campanas-filatelicas